Archive > 19.1 Legacy Series

CARP role doesn't switch properly after updating to 19.1.8

(1/8) > >>

bitmusician:
Hi,
as we updated and tested the functionality of our test cluster from version 19.1.6 to 19.1.8 and after that our productive cluster from 19.1.4 to 19.1.8, we noticed that there is a little problem with switching the CARP roles. After we finished updating both nodes in each cluster we wanted to know, if the role switching behavior works as before (when MASTER is set into maintenance mode he becomes BACKUP). So node 1 (MASTER) went into maintenance mode but unfortunately stayed Master for this Cluster. Deactivating CARP on this node and activating it again didn't make it work. The only thing that helped us having a normal switching behavior again when one of the nodes is set into maintenance mode was changing the skew of the advertising frequency of one VIP on the MASTER node from 0 to 1 and then back from 1 to 0 again.

Maybe this workaround helps somebody with the same problem.

Greeetz,
bitmusician

mimugmail:
There was a change in 19.1.8 indeed, was it one time or is it reproducable?

bitmusician:
As I wrote i firstly noticed the problem on our test cluster (which is not a copy of the productive system) and then on our productive cluster too. It should be reproducable on any cluster after updating to 19.1.8 .

mimugmail:
I tested this successfully in dev, maybe you have configures some tunables manually?
Check here the details:
https://github.com/opnsense/core/issues/3163

bitmusician:
We didn't make any changes in the tunables and we also did not have packet loss.
Since I did the workaround we don't have the problem anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version