English Forums > Hardware and Performance

[Work In Progress] OPNsense Ported into ARM Devices

(1/70) > >>

nekoprog:
Hello, I would like to say thank you to OPNsense developers for creating this awesome firewall. I would like to mention that OPNsense is working great on Raspberry Pi 2, using image created by opnsense/tools with the latest PR. The only problem is that there is no repo for updates or installing plugins. Other than that it works just like on x86/64 hardware. I also tried UnboundBL plugin and it works too. I hope that plugin will go official any time soon.

If anyone ask why use RPI2 because it only has one LAN port, I would say that it doesn't matter because I use Netgear Aircard 320U for WWAN and use LAN port with D-Link DAP-1360 wifi AP.

With this as proof of concept, I hope other users/contributors/developers can use the template on opnsense/tools to port OPNsense to other ARM devices.

* OPNsense ARM Images [DOWNLOADS]
* Update Repo, edit /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/OPNsense.conf:
--- Code: ---OPNsense: {
  fingerprints: "/usr/local/etc/pkg/fingerprints/OPNsense",
  url: "http://neko.progr.am/pieSense/${ABI}/19.1/latest",
  signature_type: "NONE",
  mirror_type: "NONE",
  priority: 11,
  enabled: yes
}
--- End code ---

* How to make your own ARM image
--- Code: ---Minimum required build system:
64bit multicore processor, 4GB RAM and 25GB disk space.

Supported 32-bit ARM devices (arm:armv6):
1. Banana Pi (bpi)
2. Raspberry Pi2 (rpi2)

Supported 64-bit ARM devices (arm64:aarch64):
1. NanoPi NEO2 (nanopi-neo2)
2. Orange Pi PC2 (orangepi-pc2)
3. Raspberry Pi3 (rpi3)

Build steps:
# pkg install git
# cd /usr
# git clone https://github.com/opnsense/tools
# cd tools
# make update
# make xtools base kernel packages arm-3G DEVICE=(product-device)

--- End code ---

Everyone is invited to share ideas and help with porting ARM devices using the device config templates on OPNsense/tools.
Wishlist (Needs uboot slave file in ports to make it work)
#Devicedefconfigdtb1ESPRESSObin??armada-3720-espressobin.dtb | armada-3720-community.dtb2MACCHIATObin ??armada-8040-mcbin-single-shot.dtb | armada-8040-mcbin.dtb3Libre Computer Tritium H5libretech_all_h3_cc_h5_defconfigsun50i-h5-libretech-all-h3-cc.dtb4Odroid XU3/4odroid-xu3_defconfigexynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb6NanoPi R1nanopi_r1_defconfigsun8i-h3-nanopi-r1.dtb

monstermania:
Hi,
sounds very interesting!
Do you know, if your image would work for RPI3, too?

best regards
Dirk

nekoprog:

--- Quote from: monstermania on March 26, 2019, 01:57:11 pm ---Hi,
sounds very interesting!
Do you know, if your image would work for RPI3, too?

best regards
Dirk

--- End quote ---

Hi, no. The attached .img was build specific for RPI2. But you can build RPI3 image using opnsense/tools. Franco just recently merged the PR to make the image bootable. But it still not tested yet because I don't own RPI3.

Hope you can test the code, see if it works or not. If not, we can still contribute something to make it work.

lattera:
I'd be more than happy to help test! I've got several RPI3 boards gathering dust.

If I get some spare time this week and/or next, I'll test on the RPI3.

chemlud:
Fun to see this old topic is still alive! I think I would also prefer raspi 3 as the "old" image in raspi 1 was vvvveerryyyy slow...

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=6099.msg25545#msg25545

:-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version