English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

[SOLVED]19.1 - DHCPv6 settings to hand out ipv6 to wifi devices on google wifi

(1/3) > >>

walkerx:
i get an ipv6 address from my isp and all wired devices on my network work with ipv6

but I have google wifi setup, but to get it work as a mesh I need it to use normal router mode as setting it in AP mode means I can't use the mesh network and some of the units can't be used as can't backhaul via ethernet.

I've enabled ipv6 on the google wifi and it says enabled, but it's not passing any ipv6 to client wifi devices of which I want to do, probably as it's only receiving a single ipv6 address and i have no dhcpv6 server running.

So can anyone offer any advice on how to get opnsense provide to provide an ipv6 to the google wifi, so devices can use ipv6 out to the internet

Maurice:
Set the Router Advertisements mode to Assisted, enable the DHCPv6 server and configure both an address range as well as a Prefix Delegation range.

(This doesn't work if your ISP only gives you a /64 prefix which unfortunately some do.)

walkerx:
my current isp provides /56 not sure what my new isp will be providing when i switch over

also never setup dhcpv6 so not sure of the full configuration for this as all my wired devices get an ipv6 (i think i have it set to track from wan)

Maurice:
In general, you don't need DHCPv6 in the LAN for IPv6 to work. Hosts will just autoconfigure their addresses.

But if you connect another router, this secondary router needs a prefix to assign to its hosts. It gets this prefix using Prefix Delegation and this requires DHCPv6.

Configuration steps in OPNsense are (assuming you get a /56 from your ISP and use tracking on the LAN interface):

* In Interfaces / LAN, enable "Allow manual adjustment of DHCPv6 and Router Advertisements".
* In Services / DHCPv6 / LAN, enable the DHCPv6 server, enter a host ID range (e. g. from ::1 to ::ff), enter a Prefix Delegation Range (e. g. from ::20 to ::40) and set the Prefix Delegation Size to 60.
* In Services / Router Advertisements / LAN, set the mode to " Assisted".

walkerx:

--- Quote from: Maurice on March 18, 2019, 12:51:40 pm ---In general, you don't need DHCPv6 in the LAN for IPv6 to work. Hosts will just autoconfigure their addresses.

But if you connect another router, this secondary router needs a prefix to assign to its hosts. It gets this prefix using Prefix Delegation and this requires DHCPv6.

Configuration steps in OPNsense are (assuming you get a /56 from your ISP and use tracking on the LAN interface):

* In Interfaces / LAN, enable "Allow manual adjustment of DHCPv6 and Router Advertisements".
* In Services / DHCPv6 / LAN, enable the DHCPv6 server, enter a host ID range (e. g. from ::1 to ::ff), enter a Prefix Delegation Range (e. g. from ::20 to ::40) and set the Prefix Delegation Size to 60.
* In Services / Router Advertisements / LAN, set the mode to " Assisted".
--- End quote ---

thanks for this, i will configure and check next time my isp decides to renew to see if all works

hopefully once i switch providers it will work as intended

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version