Archive > 15.7 Legacy Series

High cpu usage in virtual environment

(1/1)

smurfb:
Hi.

I run OPNSense 15.7 in a virtual machine (qemu/kvm) on an Ubuntu 15.4 installation.

CPU usage in OPSense is around 3%, but the virtual machine uses about 20-30% CPU.

I do not use virtio-network but rather PCI-passthrough on Intelbased HP NICs.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

opnsenseFAN:
Hy.

I noticed the exact same behavior! See screenshot...
In OPNsense you can find 2 Plugins "os-xen" and "os-vmware".
What about KVM?
Anyone an idea?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers!
Jessica

weust:
AFAIK KVM is build into the FreeBSD kernel, as is Hyper-V support, hence there are no external packages for them.
I run a VM in Hyper-V 2012 R2 for OPNsense, and it uses 0% when not doing anything.

opnsenseFAN:

--- Quote from: weust on April 10, 2016, 05:56:19 pm ---AFAIK KVM is build into the FreeBSD kernel, as is Hyper-V support, hence there are no external packages for them.
I run a VM in Hyper-V 2012 R2 for OPNsense, and it uses 0% when not doing anything.

--- End quote ---

Ahaaa, that sounds interesting. I am planning to install OPNsense in a Hyper-V enviroment as well. So thanks for that experience!
An why would you say, is KVM showing that much CPU load at this virtual machine?

weust:
No f*cking clue.

Edit: Just to make sure you don't get me the wrong way, it wasn't an attack or something like that.
I really have no idea why the CPU usage is so high with KVM. Never used it because I don't like the idea of a hobby project running my VM's :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version