Archive > 15.7 Legacy Series

[SOLVED] Traffic Shaper for VoIP?

(1/2) > >>

lukepower:
Hi there,

I am successfully running the latest version in our production environment (after having switched in winter time from Endian firewall), and have eagerly awaited the release of the traffic shaper. Now, what I would like to achieve is to prioritize VoIP traffic over all interfaces (or at least over our two WAN interfaces). How could I do that?
I could actually use the IP of our VoIP provider as to & from address, but I cannot figure out how to program the shaper...  :o
Any help is welcome :)

JoeT:
Were you ever able to figure this out?  I would be very interested in the results.  One of the reasons I installed OPNSense was to help with this same issue at one of my locations...

I'm using Asterisk IAX2 on port 4569 and I'd love to be able to tell the system to prioritize this traffic above ALL else.

AdSchellevis:
I kind of missed this one the first time, so if it wasn't solved yet, here is how you could prioritize traffic to your voice server.

1. create a pipe with the total bandwidth available
2. create multiple queues connected to that pipe and prioritize using the weight property
3. create rules to send traffic to your queue

By using a higher weight on a queue you should be able to give your voice traffic priority over the rest of the traffic.

JoeT:
Thank you, I'll check this out.  I tried to follow what is listed on this page in the wiki:

https://wiki.opnsense.org/index.php/Traffic_shaper

But I see that just limits per session bandwidth.   Maybe the queue part is what I couldn't figure out. 

AdSchellevis:
Yes, the queue is the extra feature needed to prioritize :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version