Archive > 18.7 Legacy Series

Traffic Shaping with FQ_Codel

(1/1)

gigaboy:
I've been struggling with this issue for some time, and though I seem to have FQ_Codel working with normal network business traffic, video streaming, etc., it doesn't seem to work correctly with VOIP.  Probably a config issue on my end, and I need some insights as to what to do.

Voice quality using G711-u (US protocol), is choppy and crackling, both inbound and outbound calls, not for LAN only calls, just to WAN/external calls.

Some background:
Running latest opnsense on a stand alone "appliance".  Works great!
Use 3cx vOIP phone system (debian) on its own virtualized instance within Windows 10 Hyper-V.
3CX has its own firewall checker to make sure ports and NAT is configured correctly, and all these checks pass.
Updated the Intel i210-T1 NIC on the server running the 3cx instance to latest drivers and tweaked settings for best performance.

I've configured pipes, queues, and rules as shown in the three screen shots. This was based on the article posted here:

https://www.lullabot.com/articles/eliminating-robots-and-voip-glitches-with-active-queue-management

At network quiet time last night, I blocked all traffic except to my testing browser on ubuntu and I ran a dozen network checks at dslreports/speedtest to get an average download / upload speed.  That's how I came up with the up and down pipe speed.

So, I'm wondering, should there be dedicated pipes / queues / rules just for VOIP?  How would they be set up?  Using only max 4 simultaneous calls as a reference (small system).

Thanks for your help.

mimugmail:
Just one Q for download doesn't make sense as there is nothing to weight. Also the max for weight should be 100, Not 10

gigaboy:
>> Just one Q for download
You're right. Good catch!
Now I have to figure out how to reconfig this.

mircsicz:
Hi there,

I'm currently struggling with setting a 3CX behind a OPNsense. Specifically having issue's with the firewall Test...

So would you please share your Port-Forwarding and Outbound settings, that would really help alot!

Sorry for "HiJacking" this one, here's my solution:
https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=12793.msg59243#msg59243

Best Mircsicz

mimugmail:
Can you open a new thread as it is not related to this one? Thx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version