OPNsense Forum

English Forums => 21.7 Legacy Series => Topic started by: tng44 on December 07, 2021, 04:25:09 pm

Title: Wrong prefix delegation size on wan
Post by: tng44 on December 07, 2021, 04:25:09 pm
Hello,

I have a /56 prefix delegated by my isp, but opnsense in [interfaces] -> [overview] shows it has only a /64.
I've checked with a friend on the same isp (but different router) and he gets the /56.
In [interfaces] -> [wan] -> [dhcpv6] i've set the correct prefix hint.

If you tell me what logs and stuff you need, I'll post it.
Title: Re: Wrong prefix delegation size on wan
Post by: marjohn56 on December 07, 2021, 11:12:34 pm

If it's the WAN then that has nothing to do with the /56, merely your ISP giving you a /64 address on the WAN too.

With the LAN then you may have a /56 PD, but each LAN will take a /64, therefore you can have upto 256 seperate subnets (LANS) each of them a /64, or you can have one /64 lan and then send out a /57 prefix to further routers or combinations thereof.
Title: Re: Wrong prefix delegation size on wan
Post by: tng44 on December 08, 2021, 12:28:34 am
I have expressed myself incorrectly.

The wan does not have a ipv6 address. I was talking about the delegated prefix. My ISP gives me a /56 PD but opnsense will show that I have a /64 delegated. This basically force me to have 1 /64 for 1 interface instead of the 256 /64 for 256 interfaces.

I have attacched the logs for the solicit and request.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, english isn't my primary language and i'm a bit rusty.
Title: Re: Wrong prefix delegation size on wan
Post by: marjohn56 on December 08, 2021, 12:46:32 am
Yoiu need to speak to your ISP, they are only sending you a /64. If you have set Prefix Delegation size to /56 in the WAN dhcp6c settings, then that's all you can do; you may try selecting send prefix hint to see if that helps then reboot. The usual cause of this sort of thing is an ISP error.
Title: Re: Wrong prefix delegation size on wan
Post by: tng44 on December 09, 2021, 01:30:57 pm
I spoke with my ISP and indeed it was a misconfiguration on their end. Now I'm getting the correct PD.
Thank you for your help.