OPNsense Forum

English Forums => 26.7 Series => Topic started by: kaneelschep on October 06, 2026, 02:22:42 PM

Title: Port forwarding settings under rules AND destination NAT
Post by: kaneelschep on October 06, 2026, 02:22:42 PM
Hi all.


I run: OPNsense 26.7.5-amd64. This router has been running in this config for years now.
Yesterday I needed to enable some already long ago configured forwarded ports.
So I clicked on enable port under: Firewall / Rules. But somehow I was not getting through.
I checked a bit further and found the same rules under NAT / Destination NAT.
And only after I enabled them there too, the port was actually opened. The 2 dont seem to work together.

This is something new to me, as I did this same thing under rules a few months ago, and it just worked.
Is this a new thing? Or is something not correct.

I did do the 4/5 step migration wizard thingy of downloading the settings. Uploading them. And then the cleaning up last step.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Port forwarding settings under rules AND destination NAT
Post by: kaneelschep on October 08, 2026, 10:50:06 AM
I have been reading a bit more on this. And I see there are quite some people asking about this. Yet I didnt really find an answer that explains me why the port forwarding is now handled in 2 separate locations. It seems confusing to me as it used to be in one location.
Also I cant find if this is by design or something just went wrong here during migrations/updates.
I am going to experiment a bit with making new rules and seeing how they end up in the destination nat.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Port forwarding settings under rules AND destination NAT
Post by: Bob.Dig on October 08, 2026, 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: kaneelschep on Today at 10:50:06 AMAnd I see there are quite some people asking about this.
I think you are the only one. Portforwarding always has to do be done in NAT. There you decide, if you don't want to use a corresponding firewall rules by selecting "pass".