OPNsense Forum

English Forums => 26.7 Series => Topic started by: Flappie on October 05, 2026, 04:03:51 PM

Title: Unbound listening on 1 interface and Router Advertisement issue
Post by: Flappie on October 05, 2026, 04:03:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I have configured several VLANs in OPNsense and assigned them to interfaces.

I only want to use the built-in Unbound DNS server on my IoT VLAN. For my LAN, I use my own DNS servers.

However, when you configure Unbound on only the IoT interface, Router Advertisements also advertise the IP address of the interface as a DNS server on the other VLANs, even though Unbound is not running on those interfaces.

As a result, my LAN is now also receiving an IPv6 DNS server via Router Advertisements, using the IP address of the LAN interface on OPNsense. But Unbound is not running on that interface at all.

Is this a bug, or is this the expected behavior?
Title: Re: Unbound listening on 1 interface and Router Advertisement issue
Post by: Patrick M. Hausen on October 05, 2026, 05:00:06 PM
In the Services > Router Advertisements settings select an interface for editing, enable advanced mode, and uncheck "Enable DNS".