OPNsense Forum

English Forums => 26.7 Series => Topic started by: pckay09 on September 28, 2026, 12:46:53 AM

Title: IPv6 RA for Android working with radvd but not dnsmasq
Post by: pckay09 on September 28, 2026, 12:46:53 AM
Hey all,
I was working on a remote IPv6 host when I realized that my Android devices appear to not be setting IPv6 up properly. All my other devices get v6 addresses fine, but Android hosts specifically will get DNS, v6 prefix addresses, and then apparently no v6 gateway.
I tested using radvd instead in Assisted mode, and the issue went away, but I'd prefer to stick to dnsmasq for RA.
dnsmasq is configured to advertise on the LAN bridge, with a start address of ::1 and no end address, constructor also set to LAN.
For RA mode, I've tried ra-advrouter alone, ra-only, and slaac+ra-names+ra-stateless, with no luck on Android for any of them.
Interval is 10s, router lifetime is 30s, lease time 86400.
Router advertisements is enabled in dnsmasq's "General" tab.
Is there something else I should be checking, or any obvious issues this might be, or is it a bug somewhere in dnsmasq/android?
Title: Re: IPv6 RA for Android working with radvd but not dnsmasq
Post by: pckay09 on September 28, 2026, 12:52:41 AM
Oh, and for completeness: I have Xfinity service through their Gateway in bridge mode, which provides DHCPv6. I have tried setting the MTU in dnsmasq, to no avail.