It would be useful the ability to trigger a snapshot creation upon launching the upgrade procedure.
I have to admit I'm not so diligent at remembering to do it every time, my fault, it always went well so far, but having an additional safety net would be beneficial.
Yes and no. Automatic snapshots drain your disk space and prevent you from doing proper upgrades if your disk is "full".
We can potentially add these features but they should come with elaborate retention policy option and automatic cleanups, which all can still not do what the user expects. It's not very appealing work.
freebsd-update does this by default and it has made two of our build servers unable to build without us knowing what's wrong. It's not a great experience.
Cheers,
Franco
Quote from: franco on August 13, 2026, 12:02:03 PMfreebsd-update does this by default and it has made two of our build servers unable to build without us knowing what's wrong.
I hate it when it does that. Did I mention that I hate "magic under the hood", once or twice? ;-)
I vaguely remember it. :)
Cheers,
Franco
How about an option to enable automatic snapshots without cleanups for those that accept the responsibility to delete old snapshots themselves?
Disabled by default, with a scary note about storage consumption. Maybe with an option to keep the last n snapshots.
People ignore it and post here anyway. It's similar to binding the web GUI to specific interfaces.
Cheers,
Franco