OPNsense Forum

English Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: wiring8228 on August 08, 2026, 02:28:19 AM

Title: [SOLVED] Minimum Supported Refresh Frequency for URL Tables
Post by: wiring8228 on August 08, 2026, 02:28:19 AM
Problem Description:
When creating a firewall alias on OPNsense 26.7.1 of type "URL Table in JSON format (IPs)," setting the "Refresh Frequency" to fractional values such as 0.5 or 0.01 hours has no observable effect. The alias table does not appear to refresh at the specified interval. It is unclear what the minimum supported value is for this field.

Expected Behavior
The alias table should be fetched and updated at the interval specified by the "Refresh Frequency" field, including fractional values expressed in hours (e.g., 0.5 hours = every 30 minutes, 0.01 hours = approximately every 36 seconds).

Actual Behavior

Reproduction Steps
Navigate to Firewall → Aliases in the OPNsense web interface
Click Add to create a new alias
Configure the alias with the following settings:


Save and apply the alias
Wait beyond the expected refresh interval (30 minutes for 0.5 hours)
Observe that the alias contents have not been updated


Key Question
What is the smallest supported value for the "Refresh Frequency" field when using the "URL Table in JSON format (IPs)" alias type? Are fractional values below 1 hour actually processed by OPNsense, or is the effective minimum 1 hour? If fractional values are not honored, is there an alternative mechanism to achieve more frequent alias table refreshes (e.g., cron jobs or plugin-based solutions)?
Title: Re: Minimum Supported Refresh Frequency for URL Tables
Post by: MoonbeamFrame on August 08, 2026, 10:01:01 AM

I use fractional values for hours which are working fine for numerous aliases.

I did experiment with various values but currently the smallest I use is 0.1

Title: Re: Minimum Supported Refresh Frequency for URL Tables
Post by: wiring8228 on August 08, 2026, 01:55:28 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I was able to resolve the issue by entering "cidr" as the "Path expression" value. Since the first update worked fine without this value, I assumed the update mechanism was already functional, but it seems that doesn't happen until the value to be updated is known.
Title: Re: Minimum Supported Refresh Frequency for URL Tables
Post by: wiring8228 on August 08, 2026, 04:08:40 PM
I checked the logs again and saw that the IP lists are being updated:

2026-08-08T15:17:02 Notice firewall processing alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v6.json took 0.04s
2026-08-08T15:17:02 Notice firewall fetch alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v6.json (bytes: 5915)
2026-08-08T15:07:04 Notice firewall processing alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v4.json took 0.30s
2026-08-08T15:07:03 Notice firewall fetch alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v4.json (bytes: 102911)
2026-08-08T14:16:26 Notice firewall processing alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v6.json took 0.03s
2026-08-08T14:16:26 Notice firewall fetch alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v6.json (bytes: 5915)
2026-08-08T14:06:57 Notice firewall processing alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v4.json took 0.23s
2026-08-08T14:06:57 Notice firewall fetch alias url https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop_v4.json (bytes: 102911)

However, under Firewall > Aliases, the 'Last updated' column isn't being updated, even though the logs show that the update should have worked.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding something?
Title: Re: Minimum Supported Refresh Frequency for URL Tables
Post by: MoonbeamFrame on August 08, 2026, 04:15:15 PM

I only see the 'Last updated' column update when there has been a change to the data being downloaded.
Title: Re: Minimum Supported Refresh Frequency for URL Tables
Post by: yourfriendarmando on August 09, 2026, 06:23:01 PM
I think these fields appeared more recently in recent production releases.

It should give more granularity. This could be useful, perhaps download one copy often, and distribute to client firewalls via an internal web server.

Classically, I update all aliases with a Cron Job on a weekly basis. It's only to make sure my URL sources do not ban me for getting too often.