Archive > 20.7 Legacy Series

Updates not working / plugins list empty - ipv6 issues

(1/2) > >>

debacler:
Hello all, new to OPNsense and I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem I ran into. Seems related to ipv6, which is an area I don't have much experience.

I did a new, clean install of 20.7. This went fine, however when checking for updates I would get a timeout or "package manager not responding" error with the plugin screen blank or showing only the installed packages and their status as orphaned.

If I set the system option to prefer ipv4, updates start working as expected. When testing from my desktop pc, ipv6 appears to be working just fine, with hosts resolving and pinging.

From the console, updates display the same behavior as the gui, normally when ipv4 is preferred and hanging when that option is disabled. IPV6 hosts seem to resolve, but pings fail from the console. Why would everything work from the desktop, but fail on the router itself? Have I misconfigured something? This is a very new, extremely basic install, so I'm not sure what I might have changed to cause this. As this happens with a clean install with all default settings, maybe there is some fallback behavior or error messaging that ought to be added to OPNsense to handle this situation?

Again, not my area of expertise - just recently got an ISP with ipv6 support - so hopefully I've done something dumb and you guys can point it out.  ;D

talldave:
I'm having the same issue.  New opnsense user, new install.   The 'System:Settings:General:prefer ipv4' trick unlocked the plugins and packages list.

fruit:
There was a strange issue that caught me last year and affected sending mail via IPv6. I finally solved it by:

disable IPv6, Save ->  enable IPv6, Save

as outlined in this post https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=bq9ba6nsfc4vohgdf1e5mk3mmh&topic=1777.msg5578#msg5578

Wonder if it might help?

lar.hed:
For the Record: Yesterday I had this also, however today everything worked.

Well except I either have multi wan failover working or my printer... No matter how I do, there is always some filter rules that goes wrong. And during one period the firewall log said rule xxx blocked that transaction, however the description of the rule was DHCP allow autogenerated rule... Very strange behaviour of filter rules today, hope for better stability tomorrow....

debacler:
OK, tried the suggestion by fruit. Out of the gate it appeared to work! Interestingly I could now ping ipv6 from the firewall and the update check completed. However DHCPD6 showed as stopped and never came back up. After a reboot everything reverted to its broken state. Also, i saw that sylog-ng remained stopped. The log showed:

kernel: pid 73816 (syslog-ng), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Not sure if this is related, I've seen this happen several times before. It started manually.

Since the initial success, I've been unable to replicate my first working result. Toggling IPV6 doesn't seem to do anything in regards to updates, and ipv6 pings never worked again from the firewall. However, being able to ping ipv6 from the firewall after changing this the first time leads me to believe something is broken in the firewall rules.

I dunno, I'd like to get all this working as I've heard good things about OPNsense, but between this issue and the general instability of services, I am losing confidence that it is ready to be my daily driver.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version